These lightly sweetened cake donuts are the perfect addition to your breakfast. They can also be enjoyed as a dessert. The combination of apple pie spice with just a hint of maple imbues these tasty donuts with all the best flavors of the fall, but of course, you can enjoy them anytime you like!
Yield: 10 donuts
Serving size: 1 donut
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 3 tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup natural, non-GMO granular erythritol
- 1/2 tsp. pure maple extract
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Butter the cups of 2 non-stick donut pans.
- Place the almond flour and the butter into the bowl of a food processor that has been fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until the butter and flour combine into a course meal.
- Add in the salt, baking soda, egg, egg whites, sour cream, apple pie spice, maple extract, erythritol, and heavy cream. Pulse to combine. The batter will be very thin.
- Add in the coconut flour. Pulse to combine thoroughly. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes to thicken up.
- Using a spoon, divide the batter evenly among 10 of the donut cups in your pans.
- Smooth the tops with the back of your spoon.
- Place the pans in the center of the preheated oven, and bake for about 15 minutes until the donuts are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pans on cooling racks to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing the donuts. Use a rubber spatula to gently loosen the edges of the donuts, and remove them from the pan.