Originating in France, crêpes are very thin pancakes that can be filled with any number of delectable sweet or savory fillings. They’re nice filled with bacon and eggs or sweetened ricotta for breakfast. They can also be filled with savory chicken, beef, or seafood in a delicious gravy or cream sauce for a lovely main dish. When filled with sweet things such as fresh berries and whipped cream, they make a delightful dessert.
You can use this recipe as a jumping off place to make any & all of the above ideas. You can also fill your crêpes with sandwich meats, salads, leftovers, or keto ice cream. Crêpes may be eaten warm or cold.
Yield: 10 crêpes
Serving size: 1 crêpe
- 1 1/2 tsp. extra virgin coconut oil
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. coconut butter
- 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 3/8 cup coconut flour
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Soften the entire opened jar of coconut butter for about 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave. Mix well.
- Place the eggs, coconut butter, and milk into a large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the coconut flour and baking powder. Whisk again to thoroughly combine.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, check the batter for thickness. It should have the consistency of a thin pancake batter. If the batter is too thick, thin it out by adding in 1/4-1/2 cup of water, a little at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Heat a 7″ non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Place your oil in the pan to melt and coat the surface.
- Before going further, make sure your pan is hot enough. I test my pan with a few small droplets of water. When the water sizzles and bounces in the pan, I know the pan is ready for the batter.
- Lift the pan up off the stove with one hand. Use the other hand to ladle in about 3/8 cup of the batter. Using the hand holding the pan, quickly and gently swirl the batter so that it evenly coats the bottom of the pan. This is done by using a soft twisting wrist movement.
- Cook until bubbles cover the top.
- Use a spatula to loosen the edges of the crêpe, then carefully slide the spatula until it is completely under the crepe.
- Flip the crêpe over. Smooth it out gently with the spatula if necessary
- Cook until the crêpe is golden brown on both sides.
- As you make the crêpes, stack them on a plate.
- Let them cool slightly before filling them.
- Crêpes can be rolled or folded around the desired filling.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, or in the freezer between pieces of parchment paper in a closed storage container or freezer bag.