This flavorful dish is so simple to make, and it’s a great way to add some pizzazz to your hamburger meat. Serve it over lettuce with your favorite Greek toppings to create a beautiful gyro platter or fill flourless tortillas to make delicious gyro sandwiches. Popular toppings include crumbled feta cheese, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, olives, and Tzatziki sauce. I made this recipe with beef, but you can use whatever ground meat or poultry that’s on hand.
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Place the minced onion, garlic powder, rosemary, and oregano into a small bowl. Mix well, and set aside for now.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef. While the meat is cooking, use a large spoon to continuously stir and break the meat apart.
- When the meat is completely browned, remove it from the heat, and drain off the excess liquid from the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat. Pour in the previously reserved spices, and mix well to combine them with the meat.
- Add in the water, and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan, and allow the meat to simmer for a few minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and stir the meat until the liquid has all evaporated.
- Remove from the heat, and serve immediately.
Helpful tip: You can also use this gyro spice blend to flavor burgers or meatloaf, and as a rub for lamb chops or pork!