This bagel recipe is my own adaptation of the famous fat head dough. The outside of the bagel has that desired bite to it, while the inside is soft and chewy. They’re delicious fresh, and they’re even better toasted.
Yield: 9 bagels
Serving size: 1 bagel
- 2 tsp. salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 cup golden flax meal
- 3 tbsp. super fine almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 3 1/2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Using a basting brush, grease the inside of the cups of a silicon doughnut mold with the 2 tsp. of melted butter. Set the mold aside for now.
- Place one of the eggs in a small bowl, and beat in the tsp. of water. This will be your egg wash, later. Set on the side for now.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, flax meal, almond flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well to break up any clumps and to combine. Add in the remaining 3 eggs, and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Place the cheese, cream cheese, and butter into a large microwaveable bowl. Heat in the microwave, on high, for 1 minute.
- Mix the cheese mixture, and heat for another minute. Mix again.
- Heat the cheese mixture 1 more time in the microwave, for 15 seconds.
- Mix the cheese mixture again. Use a spoon to smoothen it flat in the bowl.
- Add the reserved dry ingredients to the bowl, and fold them into the cheese.
- Turn the batter onto a clean work surface. Working quickly, mix and knead the dry ingredients into the cheese. The dough will be hot initially, so be careful. Keep kneading until you have a uniform dough. This could take a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal-sized large balls. Divide each large ball into 3 equal-sized smaller balls. You should have 9 uniformly sized balls when you are done. Place them on a plate, and cover them with parchment paper to keep them from drying out as you work.
- Take one ball from the plate. Use your hands to roll it into a 7″ long rope. Form the dough rope into a bagel shape, and pinch the ends together. Place the bagel into an empty cup in the bagel mold.
- Repeat until you have 9 bagels in the mold.
- Brush the bagels with the egg wash. Sprinkle them with seeds, such as sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds, and spices such as granulated onion and granulated garlic, or kosher salt if you like.
- Place the bagels onto the center rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the bagels are golden brown.
- Cool the bagels in the mold for 5-10 minutes. Remove the bagels from the mold, and cool completely on a wire rack.