Here’s a simple one pot recipe for a traditional favorite. The cooked vegetables are bursting with flavor, and the meat comes out so juicy and tender you won’t need a knife to eat it once it’s been sliced.
Yields: about 2 lbs of meat and 3 cups of vegetables
Serving size: 4-6 oz brisket and 1/2 cup of vegetables
- 2.5 lb brisket of beef
- 12 oz fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 oz red wine
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the brisket into a large roasting pan.
- Arrange the green beans, onions, and peppers in the pan around the meat.
- Pour the wine over the meat.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes and the water.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the meat and vegetables in the pan.
- Sprinkle the meat with the garlic powder and parsley.
- Place the bay leaves in the sauce around the meat.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Cover the pan, and place it in the preheated oven to cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- Continue cooking uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, to brown the meat.
- Serve immediately.