In this recipe, you’ll learn how to use your slow cooker to help you make the most delicious and satisfying chicken enchiladas!
Each enchilada is generously filled with shredded chicken, covered in a delicious enchilada sauce, and smothered in melted cheese. With all the authentic Mexican flavors you’ve been craving, these luscious chicken enchiladas are only six carbs each!
Yield: 8 enchiladas
Serving size: 1 enchilada
- 2 lb (907.18g) bonless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 2/3 cups (413.34g) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250g) tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (22.5g) ancho Chile powder
- 1/2 tbsp. (7.09g) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. (4.85g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp. (2g) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. (6g) salt
- 1/2 tsp. (1.2 g) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. (0.5g) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. (0.65) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. (0.08g ) chipolte Chile powder
- 1/8 tsp. (0.29) black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (280g) colby jack cheese
- 8 Flourless tortillas, Click here for the recipe
- sliced green onions, tops only
- freshly torn cilantro leaves
- pickled jalapeño slices
- Start by pouring the chicken broth into the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Add in the tomato puree, the Chile powders, smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, onion powder, ground cinnamon, and salt and pepper. (This sauce will be about a medium on the spiciness scale. If you like things hotter, add a bit more chipotle powder, if you want your enchiladas to be mild add less or omit the Chipotle powder altogether.)
- Mix the sauce up well and add the boneless, skinless chicken breast to the bowl.
- Flip each chicken breast over to coat them well, and then press them down into the sauce
- Place the lid onto the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 and a half hours.
- After three and a half hours, turn off the slow cooker and preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker onto a plate.
- Using 2 forks shred the chicken meat, as shown in the video above.
- Place the chicken into a bowl.
- Carefully pour the hot enchilada sauce into a seperate bowl and add three ladlesful to the chicken.
- Give the chicken a good mix and set it on the side for now.
- Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch (22.86 cm x 33.02 cm) pan with enchilada sauce.
- Place a tortilla down onto a plate. Fill the bottom half of the tortilla with chicken from edge to edge.
- Using your fingers, roll the tortilla tightly around the chicken and place it snuggly in the pan.
- Repeat this process with the remaining chicken and tortillas until you have used up all eight of the tortillas, and all of the remaining chicken.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce, and top them with the shredded Colby jack cheese.
- Bake uncovered, in the center of the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with sliced green onion, fresh cilantro leaves, and pickled jalapeno peppers if desired.
- Serve the hot enchiladas with a drizzle of the delicious sauce over the top, along with any of your favorite toppings such as avocado chunks, salsa, or sour cream.