These little meatballs are moist, delicious, and packed with flavor. They can be served as the main dish, but they also make elegant hors d’oeuvres or appetizers.
Yield: 26 meatballs
Serving size: 4 meatballs
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, knead and mix the meat & egg mixture until everything is well combined and evenly distributed through out. If you’re squeamish you can use a fork, but I find using my hands to be the most effective way to combine everything.
- Using your hands, or an ice cream scoop, form the meat mixture into 26 evenly sized meatballs.
These meatballs can be cooked in the oven or in an air fryer. I like to cook meatballs in an air fryer, because they come out nicely browned on the outside and juicy on the inside, with much less muss and fuss. Since I know not everyone owns an air fryer, I have provided cooking directions for both methods below. Both methods will make delicious meatballs.
To make meatballs in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Space the meatballs about 1/2″ apart in the basket of the air fryer. This will allow for even cooking.
- Cook at 400° F for 6 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, gently turn over the meatballs, and cook again at 400° F for another 6 minutes.
- You will probably have to cook the meatballs in batches. Remember to drain the oil from the basket between batches.
- Serve immediately.
To make meatballs in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Heat 2 or more tablespoons of oil, lard, bacon grease, or ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place the meatballs into the pan. Turn them in the hot oil until they are browned on each side.
- As they are browned, place them on a plate that is layered with paper toweling to drain.
- When all the meatballs are nicely browned, place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the center of the preheated oven, and bake the meatballs until they are fully cooked. They should register at least 160° F on a meat thermometer.
- Serve immediately.