Enjoy a true cookie classic with this recipe. Each bite of these crisp peanut butter cookies are filled with old-fashioned vanilla butter cream, making them a generational favorite.
Yield: 18 sandwich cookies
Serving size: 1 cookie
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1 cup organic natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup natural, non-GMO granular erythritol
Ingredients for the buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 7 tbsp. natural, non-GMO powdered/confectioners’ erythritol
- 6 tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 325° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl, and mix well to combine.
- Roll the dough into thirty-six 3/4″ balls.
- Using your hands, flatten each ball into a small patty, and lay it on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using a fork, further flatten each cookie in a crisscross pattern.
- Place the cookie sheet onto the center rack of your preheated oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, before using a metal spatula to gently remove them and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the buttercream as follows:
- Place the softened butter in a bowl with the vanilla. Use an electric hand mixer to beat until fluffy.
- Add in the erythritol, and beat again to combine. Add in the heavy cream, and beat again.
- To assemble the cookies: place a cookie topside down on a plate, and place approximately 1 tsp. of buttercream on the center of the cookie. Top with another cookie. Press down gently to evenly distribute the buttercream inside the sandwich.
- Store the cookies, and any leftover buttercream, in covered containers in the refrigerator.